Accessibility to the Information Age in Cities, regions, etc...
- --- news
Rural areas left in data highway slow lane
- by Ken Belson, CNET News.com, September 28, 2006
- As large carriers attempt to shed landlines in rural areas, their customers struggle with dial-up Net access.
Intel builds Internet city on Amazon island
- by Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com, September 20, 2006
- Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker Intel, in conjunction with Brazilian schools and companies, has brought easily accessible broadband to Parintins, an isolated city of 114,000 on an island in the Amazon Basin.
Intel Chairman Unveils The World’s Most Remote Digital City
- Intel News Release, Sept. 20, 2006
- Amazon Effort Marks Global Movement to Bring Technology to the Next Billion People
Perspective: What U.S. broadband problem?
- By Seth Sacher and Scott Wallsten, CNET News.com, July 3, 2006
- While the U.S. does lag 11 other countries in broadband penetration, international comparisons must be considered carefully.
Local Wi-Fi's big gamble
- Despite criticism, cities like Anaheim, Calif., and Tempe, Ariz., are betting big on municipal broadband.
- special report CNET News.com, June 30, 2006
Web accessibility soon mandatory in Europe?
- By Jo Best, Special to CNET News.com, June 15, 2006
- The 25 European Commission member states and nine accession countries have all signed up for a plan that could make accessibility in e-procurement mandatory.
- AMI@Work :: Rural@Work community
ZEUS (Satellite Network of Rural Schools)
- The ZEUS project has envisioned the implementation of advanced communication channels for the provision of support to isolated schools in Greece.
A-BARD (Analysing Broadband Access for Rural Development)
- EU IST CA - coordinated action
- A-BARD is a 24 month Coordination Action started in January 2005 to research rural broadband provision and use, as part of the Scientific Support to Policies ( SSP ) in the EU Sixth Framework Programme.
CAPANINA (STRATOSPHERIC BROADBAND)
- EU IST
- The CAPANINA project will develop broadband capability from aerial platforms to deliver cost effective solutions providing a viable alternative to cable and satellite.
CoCombine (Competition, Contents and Broadband for the Internet in Europe)
- EU IST SSA - specific support action
- The EU project COCOMBINE studies the Economics of the Internet. It has a special focus on the Upstream Internet Sector, Internet Backbones, Internet Exchange Points, Peering and Transit Agreements and Competion Policy. A special work package is also focussing on the Dowstream Impact of the Diffusion of Broadband in Europe
back to Internal Rural Wings Overview Webpage
back to RuralWings