related terms: cognitive maps, artificial intelligence, user modeling, agent technology
to be completed. see http://www.insead.edu/CALT/Encyclopedia/ComputerSciences/AI/cognition.htm
- The CogSci-list supports the Cognitive and Psychological Sciences which focuses on Cognitive Psychology and other related areas of Cognitive Science.
Journal, magazines, etc.
Guard families cope in two dimensions (`Flat Daddy' cutouts ease longing)
- By Brian MacQuarrie, Globe Staff, August 30, 2006
- The Guard has provided more than 100 of the cutouts to families of deployed service members as a way to ease the pain of separation.
This is your brain on a microchip
- by Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com, May 11, 2006
- Despite the false starts, many high-profile neuroscientists and bioengineers gathered this week at IBM to talk about how and why cognitive computing research is finally bearing fruit. Scientists from around the world talked about projects ranging from digitally mapping the human brain to developing microcircuits that can repair brain damage.
MIT explains why bad habits are hard to break
- By Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com, October 19, 2005
- "It is as though, somehow, the brain retains a memory of the habit context, and this pattern can be triggered if the right habit cues come back," Ann Graybiel, the Walter A. Rosenblith Professor of Neuroscience in MIT's Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, said in a prepared statement.
Newsmaker: Are we getting smarter or dumber?
- By Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com, September 21, 2005
- Merzenich, who has a doctorate in neuroscience from Johns Hopkins, runs a think tank of scientists developing programs to keep your brain in shape.
Intelligence in the Internet age
- By Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com, September 19, 2005
- It's a question older than the Parthenon: Do innovations and new technologies make us more intelligent?
Podcasts and E-Learning: Cognitive Theories of Multimedia vs. Actual Practice
- by Susan Smith Nash, Online Learning, August 8, 2005
The Love Machine (Building computers that care)
- By David Diamond, Wired, December 2003
- Laura, an animated software agent with bobbed chestnut hair and a flinty voice, has been designed to remember what we talk about, then use that information in subsequent conversations.
Getting intelligent about the brain
- by Richard Shim and Ina Fried, Cnet News.com, October 27, 2004
- There's no mistaking what they study at the Redwood Neuroscience Institute. There are brains all over the place.
"Should Mathematicians and Mathematics Educators be listening to Cognitive Psychologists?"
Cognitive Agents in 3D Virtual Worlds
- ML Maher, JS Gero, G Smith, N Gu, IJDC 2003
Books, documents, etc.
Persuasion : Psychological Insights and Perspectives
- by Timothy C., Ph.D. Brock (Editor), Melanie C. Green (Editor), Sage Publications, Second Edition, 2005
- Includes up-to-date coverage of key topics that are authored by leading psychology-of-persuasion researchers, making this the most comprehensive and authoritative textbook on persuasion
- by Margaret Matlin, John Wiley & Sons; 6 edition (July 23, 2004)
- Provides an overview of the field, with chapters detailing perception, memory, imagery, general knowledge, language, problem solving and creativity, reasoning and decision making, and cognitive development.
The MIT Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Sciences (MITECS)
- Edited by Robert A. Wilson and Frank C. Keil, September 2001
"Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies"
- Douglas Hofstadter and the Fluid Analogies Research Group, 1995
- (the book)
Dissertation Proposal: "Natural Language Sensing and Metacognition Modeling in Software Agents"
- by Zhaohua Zhang, November, 1997.
- This proposal discusses the theory of metacognition, and proposes a general architecture and its underlying suitable mechanism for building metacognition in software agents. A discussion of possible applications of the theory and architecture is given for Conscious Matte and Tutor, and a detailed design and possible implementation are expected to be given in the final version of this dissertation.
|People and organizations
People and organizations
Labs, groups, etc.
|Projects and initiatives
Projects and initiatives
back to HomePage