Virtual reality (and Virtual Worlds)
related topic: virtual environments, serious games, games
- 1st International Conference in Games and Virtual Worlds for Serious Applications 2009
- March 23 - 24, Coventry, UK
- Paper submission for full papers: 10 November 2008
Innovate Special Issue : Online Simulations, Role Playing, and Virtual Worlds
- Papers Due: November 1, 2008.
MIS Quartely, Call for Papers: New Ventures in Virtual Worlds
- Papers Due: September 15, 2008
- This special issue of MISQ is designed to stimulate discussion and investigation of virtual worlds, and the potential business and organizational issues related to competitive advantage, organizational design, legal rights, etc.
CFP - Higher Education in Second Life
- Book chapter
- Initial submissions: November 1, 2008.
Theme: Pedagogy, Education and Innovation in 3-D Virtual Worlds
- JVWR (Journal of Virtual Worlds Research), Volume 2, Number 1
- Deadline for paper submission: 15 January 2009
- --- Journals
- JVWR (Journal of Virtual Worlds Research)
Events, conferences, etc.
Engage! Expo 2009 (formerly the Virtual Worlds Conference)
- March 10-11, 2009, NYC.
- is the event for kid, youth and young adult brands, media and agencies to meet and learn how to combine their existing online efforts with the unparalleled engagement opportunities and new revenue streams of the 3D Web and Virtual Worlds.
the Peach Industry Event 2008
- 12-13 November 2008, Turin
Virtual Worlds London 2008
- 20-21 October 2008, London
Virtual Worlds Forum 2008
Virtual Worlds Expo
- 3-4 September, 2008, Los Angeles, US
Harnessing Enterprise Virtual Worlds
- leveraging corporate collaboration for competitive advantage
- Tuesday 23rd October 2007, London
Blogs and news sites
Blog postings and news
E-Learning platform Moodle integrated to Opensim
- Jani Pirkola, CyberTech? news, Apr.03, 2009
- The SLOODLE open source project brings the e-learning platform Moodle to the virtual world server Opensim
Navy Goes Virtual
- Dusan Writer’s Metaverse, 18 November 2008
Are Virtual Worlds Ready for Business?: An Interview with Justin Bovington on Immersive Workspaces(TM)
- Dusan Writer’s Metaverse, 8 November 2008
Metaplace Raises $6.7M
INSEAD in Second Life - Capacity Building and Partnership in Development
- By vantanon October 9, 2008
- "I was present for the first half hour of a live streaming presentation in Second Life, titled ‘Capacity Building and Partnership in Development’". This is the first of two talks, as mentioned previously. The next talk is by a Nobel Peace Prize laureate so it is worth catching as well.
Is Second Life Being Replaced?
- Digado, August 4, 2008
- With the recent launch of a number of virtual worlds such as Google Lively, Vivity and WebFlock? virtual worlds inside the browsers seems ‘the way to go’. This poses many interesting questions, the most obvious one so far goes something like “Will browser-based worlds such as Google Lively replace virtual worlds requiring a download and installation such as Second Life”?
Tribal Media Integrates OpenSim with Facebook
- August 13, 2008, VirtualWorldsNews.com
- Tribal Media, a developer with a focus on the OpenSim? project and its own Tribal Net, has integrated the open-source virtual world with Facebook, though only at a proof-of-concept level to show one way of building immersive environments that add to instead of replacing existing communities and networks.
IBM and Forterra teaming up on virtual world for spooks
- Dean Takahashi, VentureBeat, March 20th, 2008
- Forterra Systems and IBM said today that they’re teaming up to create virtual worlds for U.S. intelligence-gathering agencies. The so-called “Babel Bridge” project will allow spy agencies to use virtual worlds and Web 2.0 technologies to share intelligence information.
Virtual Worlds For Collaboration: When You Remove Constraints, You Change The Possibilities
- by Erica Driver, Forrester, February 18, 2008
Rich media (Podcast, Videos, etc.)
Video: Linden Lab and RRR Announce Immersive Workspaces 2.0; Working Towards Firewall Solution
- VW News October 19, 2008
- While desktop sharing has been a prominent request, says RRR, even more important for businesses in virtual worlds is privacy.
Video: IBM Takes Lotus Sametime into 3D with OpenSim
- VW News September 03, 2008
- When users click a link through text chat, Lotus dynamically creates a new 3D space where the users can upload content for discussion.
3D Data, Panel discussion (podcast)
- It Conversation, Where 2.0, recorded 2007-05-29
- As the Geospatial Web evolves from two dimensions to 3-D we are seeing a host of rich new applications and uses appear. In this panel from Where 2.0, six leaders in the field talk about the Geospatial web and 3-D applications, and how their individual organizations fit into the 3-D puzzle.
Articles, papers, etc.
Technology: Networking widens EMBA net
- By Sarah Murray, the Financial Times (FT.com), October 27 2008
- For Insead, Second Life has provided a new way of teaching. The school has built a virtual campus on the site that allows it to conduct many of the activities that take place on the real campus, including group discussions and lectures.
6 Systems To Have Your Own 3D World
- Hiperia3D news, July 17, 2008
- The latest in 3D on Internet are what Bruce Damer calls "small worlds".
- The analyzed systems are: Google Lively, SceneCaster?, Vivaty Scenes, 3DXplorer, ExitReality?, and ActiveWorlds?.
Feature: Lively - Google's Contribution to the 3D Social Web?
- Virtual Worlds News, July 08, 2008
- Today Google announced Lively, a browser-based virtual environment that will tie in to social networks like Facebook, OpenSocial?, and MySpace?, as well as Google's other products like YouTube? and Picasa.
Gartner Says 90 Per Cent of Corporate Virtual World Projects Fail Within 18 Months
- Egham, UK, May 15, 2008
- Success Requires Clear Objectives, Focus on Users and Realistic Expectations.
- Also, by 2012, Gartner estimates that 70 per cent of organisations will have established their own private virtual worlds
RPI Creating AI in Second Life; Wants to Build Holodeck
- virtualworldsnews.com, March 10, 2008
Project Gutenberg comes to la Bibliothèque Francophone
- by Scarlett Qi, slnn.com, February 29, 2008
Orange teste un univers virtuel dédié à la rencontre
- Alexandre Laurent, Neteconomie, 11 Fevrier 2008
- Dec 6th 2007, from The Economist print edition
- Computing: Virtual worlds are being put to serious real-world uses—and are starting to encounter some real-world problems
Demain les mondes virtuels (1/11-11/11)
- Rémi Sussan, Les 27/09/2007-15/11/2007, InternetActu
- An article (in french) about virtual worlds in 11 parts
- By Wade Roush, Technology Review: July/August 2007
- The World Wide Web will soon be absorbed into the World Wide Sim: an immersive, 3-D visual environment that combines elements of social virtual worlds such as Second Life and mapping applications such as Google Earth. What happens when the virtual and real worlds collide?
I Was a Second Life B-School Student
- by Francesca Di Meglio, Business Week, Special Report April 16, 2007
- Undergraduate programs already have a presence in this virtual world, but INSEAD is one of the first management programs to break ground
Meet me in my avatar's office
- by Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com, January 23, 2007
- IBM executives say success in the future services economy depends on how well employees play the game--literally
"Dossier Industrie: Images de Synthèe"
"Web 3D: Back to the drawing board"
- by Paul Festa,
- CNET News.com, December 28, 1999
- year in review Among the Internet's many visionaries, few have shown as much patience and persistence in the face of adversity as those behind 3D Web graphics technology.
- by David Rose and Nigel Foreman,
- The Psychologist, Volume 12 Part 11 November 1999.
- David Rose and Nigel Foreman describe the application to Psychology of a fast-developing new technology
"Macys.com gets rights to 3-D model software"
- by Reuters, CNET News.com, September 2, 1999
- Software developer Broderbund, a unit of Mattel's Learning division, said today it will sell its new Cosmopolitan Fashion Makeover software exclusively through Macys.com. With the Cosmopolitan software women can create their own three-dimensional model based on their own body measurements and digitally ``try on'' brand name clothing. Users can also link via the makeover software directly to the online shopping site, where they can buy the clothing online.
"What Is Virtual Reality?"
- Jerry Isdale, September, 1998
- A Web-Based Introduction
A New World of Animated Discussions: 3D Chat
- --See why online chats' new visual trappings are the talk of the town.
- By Stephen Brewer and Mary Jo Foley, March 01, 1997, Issue: 403,
The WAVE Report on Digital Media
- Distributed Virtual Environments Bibliography
Inductive Metanomics: Economic Experiments in Virtual Worlds
- Stephen A Atlas (2008), Journal of Virtual Worlds Research, Vol 1, No 1
Mediating the Tensions of Online Learning with Second Life
- Nancy Evans, Thalia M. Mulvihill, and Nancy J. Brooks, Innovate, Volume 4, Issue 6, August/September 2008
3D Social Virtual Worlds: Research Issues and Challenges
- A Hendaoui, M Limayem, CW Thompson
- Internet Computing, IEEE, Vol. 12, No. 1. (2008), pp. 88-92.
Second Life and other Virtual Worlds: A Roadmap for Research
- Mennecke, B.E., McNeill?, D., Ganis, M., Roche, E., Konsynski, B., Bray, D., Lester, & Townsend, A.M. (2008)
- Communications of the AIS, Volume 20, Article 20, March 2008.
Worlds for Study: Invitation - Virtual Worlds for Studying Real-World Business
- (and Law, and Politics, and Sociology, and....)
- Bloomfield, Robert J., May 25, 2007
The Scientific Research Potential of Virtual Worlds
- William Sims Bainbridge
- Science 27 July 2007: Vol. 317. no. 5837, pp. 472 - 476
Why Virtual Worlds Can Matter
- Douglas Thomas and John Seely Brown, Working Paper: October 21, 2007
Embedding 2D Standalone Educational Simulation Games in 3D Multi-Users Environments: The Case of C-VIBE
- Thierry Nabeth, Albert A. Angehrn (2004)
- Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2004), Joensuu, Finland, pp. 711-713.
Using VR Technology to Support the Formation of Cooperative Learning Groups
- by BinShyan? Jong, Tsong Wuu Lin, TeYi? Chan, YuLung? Wu
- ICALT 2003, 3rd IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies
- July 9-11, 2003, Athens, Greece
C-VIBE: A Virtual Interactive Business Environment addressing Change Management Learning
- Albert A. Angehrn, Thierry Nabeth (2001)
- Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (I-CALT 2001), Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
"Ercim: Computer Graphics and Vizualisation"
"ERCIM News, Special Theme: Computer Vision and Virtual Reality"
- by Neal Stephenson, 1993
- the must read SFi book.
- by William Gibson, 1984
- Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation
Phd dissertations, etc.
Virtual Worlds for Business Q2 2009
- By Zebra.
- It makes an overview of different VWs (including screenshots), and they application for business such as Active Worlds; OLIVE; Protosphere; Qwaq Forums; Second Life and Web Alive
Virtual-Worlds and Collaborative-Work Survey Report
- March 2008
- The survey was recently designed and conducted by SRIC-BI's Virtual-Worlds Consortium for Innovation and Learning (VWC) in collaboration with three other organizations that focus on virtual worlds.
Virtual Worlds: A Business Guide
- An O'Reilly Radar Report, by Roger Magoulas, Ben Lorica, and the O'Reilly Radar Team
- March 2008, 41 pages
Comparing Virtual World Platforms
- By Ross McKerlich, Brandon Hall report, October 2007.
- "Virtual Worlds for Learning: An Analysis of Eight Immersive Environment Platforms" profiles eight virtual worlds to consider for workplace learning. This report also presents standards for evaluating virtual worlds, to help you select a suitable platform.
- price: $275
Journals & magazines
|People and organisations
People and organisations
Groups, Consortium, etc.
Vr for training
Millions of us
- An Agency Specializing in Virtual Worlds
- This company, originally established in Oloron Sainte-Marie (Pyrenees Atlantiques), also settled in Neuilly sur Seine and Toulouse, France, is a participant in the market for virtual worlds (Second Life, There.com, OpenSim?, Multiverse).
- The designer of the WorldToolKit? product
Peach Presence Research in Action
- Peach is three year Coordination Action on Presence (ending May 2009) funded by the European Commission under the Future Emerging Technologies (FET). The main objective is to stimulate, structure and support the interdisciplinary Presence research community and produce visions and roadmaps for the field.
- Network of Excellence on Virtual Reality and Virtual Environments Applications for Future Workspaces
- INTUITION’s VISION is to coordinate and structure the research on VR across Europe, in order to increase the competitiveness of European Groups and promote Europe to become a leading force in VR/VE technologies.
DIFAC (FP6, IST-2005-2.5.9)
- DIFAC: Digital Factory for human oriented production system.
- The DiFac? CME will be used as a framework to support group work in an immersive and interactive way, for concurrent product design, prototyping and manufacturing, as well as worker training.
NECA (IST 2000-28580)
- Net Environments for Embodied Emotional Conversational Agents.
- NECA develops a new generation of mixed multi-user / multi-agent virtual spaces populated by affective conversational agents. The agents will be able to express themselves through synchronised emotional speech and non-verbal expression.
- A project for creating an open source Internet platform for multi-user, interactive, distributed, high-quality 3D graphics and audio for home, public and personal use. The platform will support high-quality 3D-graphics as well as high-quality 3D-audio and acoustic simulation.
VERDI? (ESA funded project)
- Virtual Environment for Real time Distributed applications over the Internet
- The objective of the VERDI project is to demonstrate via 3 applications that advanced satellite broadband multimedia platforms can enable developers of Internet applications and publishers of rich-media contents to address the broadband Internet services market.
- One of the e-learning application is:
- C-VIBE : a virtual reality management business simulation game. This pilot consists in the design and the testing of a multi-user change management simulation in which the students (learners) are immersed in the department of an organisation (recreated using a 3D artefact) that has to go through a major transformation.
- see also VERDI (ESA page)
Madison (IST -1999 - 12100)
- Multi-tier Architecture for Distributed Interactive Simulation
IST -- Interfaces, Simulation and Visualisation Technologies (Unit E3)
- European Community Unit
- Unit E3 integrates simulation, visualisation and interfacing technologies. Complementing the work of other units within IST, it aims at supporting horizontal integration of technologies at both ends of the multimedia delivery and communication chain in order to facilitate the deployment of new and attractive services.
i3net projects: Connected Community and Inhabited Information Spaces
- i3net: the European research initiative on intelligent information interfaces
- A virtual reality project between INSEAD CALT? and IBM investigating the use of virtual worlds for e-commerce.
- The objective of the M3-project is the realization of a Simulated World involving real human actors in a virtual reality environment based on multidisciplinary simulation models. The distributed design of the M3-system aims at integrated simulation of complex processes belonging to heterogeneous levels of reality, paying specific attention to real human modes of conduct.
- read also "The M3-Project - Living in Simulated Worlds", ERCIM News, No.45 - April 2001.
- IST-1999-12163 project
- The project will develop an authoring environment to implement and mantain an Internet virtual community based on historical reconstructions, by accurately codifying the social and behavioural rules of the considered period.
VR for Europe project
- VR for Europe is a project sponsored by the EuropeanCommission?, its aim is to foster the use of virtual reality and real time 3D graphic simulation in European industry.
- The Distributed Extensible Virtual Reality Laboratory (DEVRL)
(PAVR) Platform for Animation and Virtual Reality
COVEN (COllaborative Virtual ENvironments)
- An ACTS European project.
- COVEN aims at developing a computational service for teleworking and virtual presence. The overall objective of the project is to provide the facilities needed to support future cooperative teleworking systems and to demonstrate the added value of networked VR for both professional users and home users.
- Myrl is a social gateway for virtual worlds that allows you to share your virtual life on the web. Discover, browse and play across multiple worlds with Myrl.
back to Taxonomy